2002 - present Chief Science Officer, Bariatric Advantage (BA)
Responsible for full oversight of all product development; creation of support literature and product education materials; direct support to physicians/consumers; provide guidance for research initiatives. BA is a subsidiary of CLS. Job also includes frequent speaking to both physicians and patients, creation and presentation of CME. In addition, it is fair to say that I am now one of the top recognized experts in North America on the subject of nutrition and weight loss surgery.
2000 - present President, Well Path, Inc.
Well Path was formed by Dr. Brett Jacques and myself to encompass our consulting, writing, product development, and lecturing services for the natural products industry. We work specifically in the areas of dietary supplements, medical foods, functional foods and cosmeceuticals. We have developed products for mass retail, health professional, direct sales and MLM markets. Our experience encompasses raw materials, manufacture, and finished product. We specialize in creative products, patented formulation and evidence-based medicine. We also offer consulting services related to line expansion, new market development, and assessment of regulatory compliance. More details are available on request.
2000 - 2002 Technical Advisor, VitaminMD.com
Answer questions about natural medicine and product use for members and health professionals
1997 - 2003 Naturopathic Physician
Private practice in Naturopathic Medicine focusing on the treatment of women, children, and pain management.
1997 - 1998 Naturopathic Physician, Resident
One-year residency in Naturopathic Family Practice and Pain Management.
- 1998 - 1999 National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Candidate for Masters in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, Completed 5 quarters towards masters.
- 1997 - 1998 Residency in Naturopathic Family Practice and Pain Management.
- 1992 - 1997 National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Graduated as Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine.
- 1990 - 1992 Lewis and Clark College, English Literature and Health Sciences.
- 1987 - 1990 Reed College, English Literature.
- 1999-2002 Annual Trainings with American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine.
- 1997-2001 Annual Trainings with American Academy of Pain Management.
- 1997 Prolotherapy Intensive through University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- 1997 - 1998 Neural Therapy A and B through the American Academy of Neural Therapy.
- 1993 - 1996 Annual "Spring Trainings" in natural hormone therapy with the Broda Barnes Foundation.
- 1989 - 1990 Oregon School of Massage.
Publications, Interviews, Lectures
- 2006 August Micronutrition for the Weight Loss Surgery Patient . Full-length clinical book published by Matrix Medical Comminications, Edgemnt, PA.
- 2005 May Chairperson and speaker for University of California, Irvine Women's Wellness Day. Chair-elect for 2006.
- 2005 February Updates on Bariatric Nutrition. Cleveland Clinic, Weston Florida.
- 2004 May Chairperson and speaker for University of California, Irvine Women's Wellness Day. Chair-elect for 2005.
- 2004 March Keynote address for Phoenix Wellcare Spa Conference, Napa, CA.
- 2004 January Nutritional Support for Bariatric Surgical Patients, Columbia and Cornell University Medical Centers.
- 2003 June Pre-existing Nutritional Deficiencies and Evaluation, American Society of Bariatric Surgery annual meeting, Boston, MA.
- 2003, January Natural Medicine and Menopause: Current Topics, Las Vegas Nevada.
- 2002, November Nutritional Status and Surgical Outcomes in Gastric Bypass Patients, Training for Bariatric Surgical Support Centers International, California.
- 2002, November Nutritional Support for Bariatric Surgical Patients, LA County-USC Medical Center.
- 2002, November Publication in Beyond Change Obesity journal, "What to Look For When You Shop For a Vitamin".
- 2002, September Nutritional Support for Bariatric Surgical Patients, University of California Irvine.
- 2002, September Nutritional Status and Surgical Outcomes in Gastric Bypass Patients, Annual Meeting of Bariatric Surgical Support Centers International, Utah.
- 2002, April Common Herb Drug and Nutrient Interactions, Costa Mesa, CA.
- 2002, April Nutrition and Weight Management, Costa Mesa, CA.
- 2001, October "Alternative Medicine for Immune Health," Santa Barbara, CA.
- 2001, October Understanding Quality Issues in Nutritional Supplements," Santa Barbara, CA.
- 2001 , September American Academy of Pain Management Physicians on the topic of "Menopause, Pain, and Sexual Dysfunction.".
- 2001, August "Alternative Medicine for Immune Health," Gilroy, CA.
- 2001, July "Natural Medicine for PMS, Menopause and Female Sexual Dysfunction," Kahului, HI.
- 2001, July "Clinical Uses of Essential Fatty Acids," Kahului, HI.
- 2001, April "Insulin Resistance," Toronto, ONT.
- 2001, April "Alternative Therapies for Cardiovascular Health," Toronto, ONT.
- 2001, April "Alternative Medicine for Immune Health," Detroit, MI and Toronto, ONT.
- 2001, March "Clinical Uses of Essential Fatty Acids," Costa Mesa, CA.
- 2001, January "The Role of Antioxidants in Skin health and Protection," Las Vegas, NV.
- 2000, September American Academy of Pain Management Physicians on the topic of "Menopause, Pain, and Sexual Dysfunction."
- 1998 - 1999 Series of interviews with Rodale Press for two publications to be released 1999.
- 1999 Radio interview for nationally syndicated health show with Carol Simontachi on the subject of Natural Medicine for Fibromyalgia.
- 1997 - 1999 Contribute to, edit and publish a quarterly clinical newsletter distributed to over 1000 people and on the Internet.
- 1997 The Whole Mind Catalog , chapter on Herbal Medicine for Mental Health. New Hope Media, 1998.
- 1996 The Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients , article on the use of testosterone in hormone replacement therapy.
- US Patent Number 5,745,055 for Foot-operated Multi-directional Sensing Device, issued in April 1998.
- 3 additional patents pending for dietary supplement formulations.
Boardseats & Professional Memberships
- Board member, Samueli Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine at University of California, Irvine.
- Executive Board Member, Obesity Action Coalition.
- Board Member, Promax Nutrition (I sit on this board on behalf of their investment group, Marwit Capital of Newport Beach).
- Past Board Member, California Naturopathic Doctors Association.
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
- California Association of Naturopathic Physicians.
- Expert, About.com. Top volunteer expert in both the categories of Naturopathic Medicine and Bariatric Surgery